1. Can you please tell us a few words about yourself, where are you from.
Hi, my name is Alessandro, I am based in Italy.
2. What is your photography story, how did you start? How did you get where you are now?
I started 14 years ago with my dad’s film camera and a b&w roll and every picture came out pretty dark so I thought I needed a digital camera to see the results since I didn’t know anything about photography back then. Fast forward to 2018 when I tried to pick up that film camera again and fell in love with film colors and process.
3. What’s your favourite gear to use (camera, lens, film) ?
I mainly use an Olympus OM20 (my dad’s camera) and RB67 with a normal lens. Recently I added a Pentax 67 and I am loving the results and having the SLR shooting experience on medium format.
4. What do you enjoy shooting the most? And Why?
The usual process I go through is riding around until I find something that catches my eye. Also I like to go to unexplored areas to try to get more “surprised”. I also like to take portraits but I do that 3-4 times per year when I get some inspiration and the few models I know are available
5. How do you educate yourself to take better photos?
I watch a ton of documentaries about photography on youtube netflix tv or wherever I find them, and I buy a lot of photography books. Love the classics in every subject, and photography is no exception.
6. Have you ever doubted yourself? And what helped you to overcome that?
I always think I can do better and I think doubting of my own work is a good way to try and get better, but at the same time I see photography as a game so even if I don’t like the outcome it’s ok because I know I had fun while I was taking the photos.
7. What is the most rewarding part of being a photographer for you?
The first time I see the pictures after the scan. I think I am addicted to that feeling and that is the true reason why I shoot film.
8. Among your works, which one is your favourite? Tell us the story behind it.
My favorite work is from the pictures I took in costiera amalfitana and it is the one in the ferry where a family is watching a boat in the sea, I like it because it’s the first picture I took during that vacation. I was talking to a friend and the mother said to her son “look at that boat” and that’s when the father came with that hug… I thought it was a good moment to take a picture. Also I like the colors.
9.What gives you inspiration?
I like to go outside with a camera and try to snap something out of the ordinary, something that makes you think what is in the picture is a different reality.
10. Exactly what it is you want to say with your photographs?
With my photography I like to express what I think is cool, what is beautiful or ironic in my opinion and things I notice, or maybe just some beauty I find along the way.
You can follow Floyd on Instagram @alessandroacori